Before Grandma and Grandpa moved us to Hawaii, we were in Chicago. Your great grandparents had a small Chinese restaurant in Old Town. If we wanted to visit them, we had to go down to the restaurant. They were always there. Whenever we visited, we had to help out… peeling pea pods or helping to clear tables.
Hong Kong steak was a family favorite. It’s an example of Soy Sauce Western Cuisine popular in Hong Kong in the 1960s. There’s something about a tender steak covered in a sauce. I’ve seen Hong Kong steak served over French fries and smothered in mushroom gravy. But in the United States it’s more about the soy sauce marinade before getting grilled.
It was so long ago, but my memories of this special meal was a delicious steak on a platter with this amazing seafood stir fry across the top…. I’ve only seen this done in Chicago.
Somehow even though we moved away when I was young, I still have clear memories of spending time at the restaurant with all the delicious food.
This recipe doesn’t compare to how the original tasted, but it’s still a comfort food for me especially during these times. Comfort foods can remind you of us when you move away. When you make this you’ll remember that we are always here for you.
Stir fry meals are the ultimate fast food that you can make at home. Easy to customize to your diet and budget! Plug this into your meal math!
Hong Kong Steak - Chicago Style
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tbsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp Shaoxing wine or sake or dry sherry wine
- 2 tsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tbsp oil or as needed
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 cup snow peas
- 2 cups bok choy
- 1/4 cup carrots
- 1/4 pound scallops
- 1/4 pound shrimp
- 1 cup mushrooms
- 6 green onions
- Mix together sauce ingredients and keep on the side. Season steak with salt and pepper. Broil.
- Heat a tablespoon of oil in wok or pan. Add garlic and vegetables. Stir and cook for 2 minutes. Remove from the pan and keep on the side. Remove steak if done and let rest.
- Heat more oil in the pan and quickly cook the shrimp, scallops, mushrooms and green onions. Quickly cook 2-3 minutes until seafood is opaque.
- Add the vegetables back in along with the sauce mix. Stir until the gravy has thickened slightly.
- Cut steak, add to the plate with stir fry over it.